Archana Singh-Manoux PhD, HDR Epidemiology
Course and current status
Research Director, INSERM
Honorary Professor, University College London
HONOURS & AWARDS
2010: Member, Academia Europaea, The Academy of Europe.
2005: Chair of Excellence Award: French Ministry of research.
2005: ERC Starting Grant
10 KEY PUBLICATIONS (out of a total >200 )
- Kivimäki M, Shipley MJ, Batty GD, Hamer M, Akbaraly TN, Kumari M, Jokela M, Virtanen M, Lowe GD, Ebmeier KP, Brunner EJ, Singh-Manoux A. Long-term Inflammation Increases Risk of Common Mental Disorder: A Cohort Study. Mol Psychiatry 2014; 19: 149-150.
- Hinnouho GM, Czernichow S, Dugravot A, Batty GD, Kivimaki M, Singh-Manoux A. Metabolically healthy obesity and risk of mortality: does the definition of metabolic health matter? Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2294-300.
- Tuligenga RH, Dugravot A, Tabák AG, Elbaz A, Brunner EJ, Kivimäki M, Singh-Manoux A. Midlife type 2 diabetes and poor glycaemic control as risk factors for cognitive decline in early old age: a post-hoc analysis of the Whitehall II cohort study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 228-35.
- Kaffashian S, Dugravot A, Brunner EJ, Sabia S, Ankri J, Kivimäki M, Singh-Manoux A. Midlife stroke risk and cognitive decline: A 10-year follow-up of the Whitehall II cohort study. Alzheimers Dement 2013; 9: 572-9.
- Sabia S, Elbaz A, Dugravot A, Head J, Shipley M, Hagger-Johnson G, Kivimaki M, Singh-Manoux A. Impact of smoking on cognitive decline in early old age. The Whitehall II cohort study. JAMA Psychiatry 2012; 69: 627-635.
- Singh-Manoux A, Kivimaki M, Glymour MM, Elbaz A, Berr C, Ebmeier KP, Ferrie JE, Dugravot A Timing of onset of cognitive decline: results from Whitehall II prospective cohort study. BMJ 2012; 344: DOI: 10.1136/bmj.d7622
- Kaffashian S, Dugravot A, Nabi H, Batty GD, Brunner E, Kivimäki M, Singh-Manoux A. Predictive utility of the Framingham general cardiovascular disease risk profile for cognitive function: evidence from the Whitehall II study. Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 2326-32.
- Singh-Manoux A, Marmot MG, Glymour M, Sabia S, Kivimäki M, Dugravot A. Does cognitive reserve shape cognitive decline? Ann Neurol. 2011;70: 296–304.
- Sabia S, Guéguen A, Marmot MG, Shipley MJ, Ankri J, Singh-Manoux A. Does cognition predict mortality in midlife? Results from the Whitehall II cohort study. Neurobiol Aging. 2010; 31: 688-95.
- Stringhini S, Sabia S, Shipley M, Brunner E, Nabi H, Kivimaki M, Singh-Manoux A. Association of socioeconomic position with health behaviors and mortality The Whitehall II study. JAMA 2010; 303: 1159-66.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES (a selection)
- 2011-2014: Deputy Director, French Institute of Public Health (ITMO-Santé Publique)
- 2011 onwards: Associate Editor, Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health.
- 2012 onwards: Scientific Council, University Versailles St-Quentin en Yvelines.
- Member of the evaluation committee for the French SIRIC program 2011, 2012, INCA (French National Cancer Institute)
- Scientific delegate, AERES: Epidemiology and Public Health in France for the Year 2007-2008
RESEARCH GRANTS (a selection)
- 2015-2018: Work Package leader on Horizon 2020 (Call: H2020-PHC-2014-single-stage, PHC-31-2014), “FoResight and Modelling for European HEalth Policy and Regulation”.
- 2009-2015: Principal Investigator on grant R01AG013196 (Socio-economic status and heterogeneity in aging) from the National Institute on Aging, NIH, USA.
- 2009-2015: Principal Investigator on grant R01AG034454 (Health behaviors over the adult lifecourse and cognitive aging) from the National Institute on Aging, NIH, USA.
- 2013-2017: Co-Investigator on Grant K013351 (Adult Determinants of Late Life Depression, Cognitive Decline and Physical Functioning - The Whitehall II Study of Ageing) from the Medical research Council, MRC.
- 2013-2017: Co-Investigator on Grant (Vascular risk and functional decline in old age) from the British Heart Foundation, BHF.
- 2011-2015: Co-Investigator on grant G10011354, to the British Medical Research Council (MRC) (Prospective Modelling of brain changes in participants of the Whitehall II study).
Epidemiology of ageing and age related diseases (Team 8, CESP), INSERM
Whitehall II study, University College London
Our research focuses on the ageing phenotype: with research on the epidemiology of ageing (decline in cognitive and motor function), and increasingly on age-related diseases. My own research is on the determinants of decline in cognitive function with a focus on socioeconomic, occupational, psychosocial, behavioural and biological factors. A second aspect of my work is on the social determinants of health, particularly at older ages in order to understand the mechanisms underlying inequalities in health.